greensconnect.ca privacy statement and terms and conditions
May 18th, 2021
What is the purpose of greensconnect.ca?
The greensconnect.ca platform is operated by the blueocean ecovolunteer association, which is currently made up of members of the Green Party of Canada. blueocean is an unincorporated association, like the Green Party of Canada, with a mission of building volunteer capacity and skills at the national level. The constitution and by-laws of blueocean are available, and membership is open to all Green Party of Canada members and members of related associations, although certain sections of the website will be restricted only to members.
The greensconnect.ca platform is almost entirely based on an open-source democracy platform called decidim, originating from municipal participatory democracy initiatives in Spain. Decidim has been given only minor modifications in order to provide the Green Party of Canada with a technological foundation for national volunteer coordination and distributed organization and decision-making. Currently, the core capabilities being actively used by the GPC are the following:
- EDA and regional communication and planning
- Continuous policy development
- Incubation and support for new Member initiatives
- National volunteer communications infrastructure
- Member and staff directory
What are the constraints that come with being a member of the international decidim project?
The use of decidim comes with responsibilities set by the international community that is developing the project. Because decidim requires supporting large-scale communities doing collective decision-making, it is very sensitive to the guardrails and conditions required for large scale participatory democracy to succeed, notably equity and safety. Those principles, which greensconnect.ca is expected to adhere to, are listed below, in the decidim social contract.
What is decidim?
Decidim is a free Open-Source participatory democracy platform for cities and organizations. But decidim is more than a digital platform: it is a commons free and open source project and infrastructure, involving code, documentation, design, training courses, a legal framework, collaborative interfaces, participant and facilitation communities, and a common vision.
The decidim social contract
The social contract: All members and partners of the decidim project must endorse and follow a “Social Contract” that defines a set of guiding principles. The social contract can be summarized as follows:
- Free software and open content: Decidim will always remain free and open to collaboration, without legal or technical obstacles for the use, copy and modification. To ensure this we use a set of licenses: Affero GPLv3 for the code, CreativeCommons By-SA for the content (text, images, design, etc.) and Open Access Database License for data. This means that Decidim will always remain auditable, open for collaboration, transparent, accountable and trustworthy, all of which is fundamental for a democratic infrastructure.
- Transparency, traceability and integrity: the content of participation will always remain transparent, traceable and integral. This means that all the content must be accessible and downloadable, it should always be known what happens with each proposal, its origin, where it was incorporated or why it was rejected, and the content needs to be displayed without been manipulated, any modification (if required) must be registered and be accessible and auditable.
- Equal opportunities, democratic quality and inclusiveness: the platform must guarantee the democratic quality, the non-discrimination and equal opportunities for each participant and proposals, including objective indicators. The platform must comply with accessibility standards, its use must favour the integration of online and offline participation and organizations must deploy the means for mediation and training of participants.
- Privacy with verification: participants must retain privacy of their personal data combined with verification. Personal data should never be displayed, nor sold or transferred to third parties while, at the same time, the unicity and democratic rights of participants must be preserved (meaning there cannot be two verified participants corresponding to the same individual with democratic rights and all participants with such rights must be verifiable).
- Democratic commitment, responsibility and collaboration: institutions using Decidim must commit to respond on time, be accountable for decisions taken through the platform, and to openly collaborate on its improvement.
More information on decidim is available here.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
General aspects of participation in the platform greensconnect.ca
Any individual over 16 years can register on the greensconnect.ca platform. By accepting these conditions of use, the registered person declares that they are 16 years old or older. While the platform is currently focused on use by GPC members, it also allows the possibility of opening the platform to organizations, groups, groups and/or citizen organizations that have similar missions to blueocean and the GPC.
Because the greensconnect.ca platform is a meeting place that aims to promote democratic participation for the improvement of organizations like the GPC and ultimately the improvement of Canada, participants are obliged to use it diligently and in accordance with this objective.
blueocean is not responsible for the incorrect use of the greensconnect.ca platform by the participants, or for the content provided by participants. Each participant is responsible for using the platform correctly, as well as the legality of the content and opinions they share therein.
Participants are not allowed to add any illegal or unauthorized content to the website, such as information that:
- is false or deceptive;
- infringes any copyright, trademarks or other intellectual and industrial property rights or other related rights;
- violates the privacy of a third party, such as publishing personal details of the participants, such as the name, address, telephone number, email, photographs or any other personal information;
- contains viruses, trojans, robots or other programs that may harm the website’s systems or the website or the system of any third party, or that they intend to circumvent the technical measures designed to the correct operation of the platform;
- intends to send spam to the participants or overload the system;
- has the character of chain of messages, game pyramidal or game of chance;
- is commercial, such as posting job offers or announcements;
- is not in accordance with public decency; Consequently, the content must not incite hatred, discriminate, threaten, provoke, or have a meaning or a sexual, violent, rude or offensive character;
- infringes a law or applicable regulation;
- creates multiple participants simulating being different people (astroturfing).
blueocean is not responsible for the quality, originality, authenticity, legality or security of the content that participants contribute to the platform, outside of confidential information provided during the registration process. However, blueocean reserves the right to remove opinions, information, comments, proposals or files that contradict these conditions of use for the platform and can install filters for this purpose. All such effort will be done solely for the fundamental objective of the greensconnect.ca platform. The blueocean national volunteer initiative also reserves the power to suspend, without notice, the activities of a participant in the platform, to deactivate their account, to erase its content, to eliminate the account or send a notice, especially, and without limitation, in the above cases.
The participant is responsible for the content of their contributions and for the damages or claims of third parties that may be derived. In no case will the blueocean national volunteer initiative be responsible for the improper use of the site of the platform or the contents that are shared there.
In the event that the content includes a link to another website, the blueocean national volunteer initiative does not assume any type of responsibility for any damages due to accessing the contents of that link. In the event of a dispute of any kind or for any reason between the participants in the website, Ontario law will be the applicable law and the blueocean national volunteer initiative is exempt from all responsibility for claims, claims or damages of whatever nature that are related somehow with any online dispute.
A. Basic information about data protection:
- Responsible for data protection: blueocean national volunteer initiative (aka blueocean)
- Purpose of the data protection: to allow members of the Green Party of Canada, and interested persons, to participate securely and more actively in the acts, bodies and processes of participation of the GPC and/or related organizations.
- Legal basis for data protection: participants provide consent by accepting the terms and conditions of use.
- Recipients of the data: blueocean manages user data and requires that data not be communicated to third parties except by legal obligation
- Data rights: to exercise your rights of access, rectification and deletion as well as other rights related to digital privacy, you can send an email to email@example.com.
This legal notice is intended to communicate the main aspects of the digital participation platform greensconnect.ca, promoted by the blueocean national volunteer initiative. The platform aims to promote member and citizen participation and direct, deliberative and participative democracy through the different processes and spaces of the Green Party of Canada, or other associations, generating forms of direct and open interaction between GPC leadership, staff, members, Canadian residents and international Greens.
Members who access this platform agree to accept and comply with all the provisions of this legal notice and all applicable provisions. They also undertake to make lawful and appropriate use of the contents and services, and to abstain from any behaviour that is illegal or contrary to good faith.
The platform greensconnect.ca is managed by the blueocean national volunteer initiative.
Data protection principles
These rules have been developed according to the following principles:
- Participant ownership of their own data, compliant to European GPDR data protection standards
- No data provided to 3rd parties, outside of voluntary use of a 3rd party authentication process
- No use of commercial trackers (e.g. Google analytics), just internal trackers on self-hosted servers, not used by any other organization
Operation of the platform
Participants can access and navigate the platform greensconnect.ca freely and anonymously. Only when they want to carry out any action that involves the creation, support or commenting on a proposal, participation in a debate or access of material that is restricted to an organization, will they have to be registered. The registration must be made by entering the following information: participant name, email, password and acceptance of the conditions of use. The participant will be required to verify their confirmation account that is 16 years old or older and, optionally, that they are a member of an association such as the GPC.
The platform also allows the possibility of registering entities, groups and / or organizations, and in this case, the following information will be requested: name of the organization, person responsible, email, telephone, password and acceptance of the conditions of use.
The registered person can interact with the platform through the different functionalities enabled for each one of the participation processes (debates, proposals, meetings, ...). The verified person will be able to support the proposals and participate in the prioritization of any relevant processes.
Information about the processing of personal data
Both the privacy of the data and the confidentiality of the information are important aspects that are taken into account when managing this platform. This data protection policy establishes the way in which personal data are obtained and processed by the greensconnect.ca platform. This may vary over time due to possible legislative, jurisprudential changes or the criteria followed by the blueocean member initiative or the relevant authorities. That is why the entity reserves the right to modify this policy, to adapt it to adjust to the legislative or jurisprudential changes that are in force at the precise moment that is accessed on the web.
1.- Identification of the owner responsible for the treatment:
The owner responsible for the processing of participant and subscriber data is:
blueocean national volunteer initiative – see constitutional documents here
2.- Data protection purpose, legal basis and conservation periods
greensconnect.ca is a digital platform that allows a managed communications interface between participants and various organizational entities. The personal data will be processed for the following purposes:
- manage the queries of participants and respond to any request you send us through web forms or any other means of contact.
- manage subscriptions to which participants register.
- check the validity of your GPC membership against the GPC member database
- develop statistical analyzes, measurements and studies on participation processes, participants and their needs, trends, interests and preferences.
- send informative communications (such as sending the electronic newsletter): At the time of the collection of personal data you will be asked for your consent to be able to send you information about the activities, contents and processes related to this platform. The participant may revoke their consent at any time, communicating their wish to not receive further communications by following the instructions indicated at the bottom of each of the shipments he receives.
Images: Given that the right to one's own image is recognized internationally as a civil right, the participant can only publish images of themselves that are in the public domain.
The conservation period: the data will be deleted when requested by the owner.
3.- Recipients of personal data
Your personal data will not be transferred to third parties except by legal obligation to judges and courts that request it through judicial or in the framework of a police investigation.
Your participant name is public, therefore it will be visible on the platform. Keep in mind that the images and communications made on the platform (comments, proposals, etc.) will often be visible to the general public. However, data related to decision-making (e.g, whether you vote for a proposal or validate a budget), or your email address will never be made public. Any accessing of your email address by an administrator creates a permanent log and an instant notification to the other administrators.
The international transfer of your data is not foreseen, as all data is hosted on Canadian servers.
4.- Rights of the holders of the data
Anyone has the right to obtain information on what data is present on the platform. Below, we indicate your rights:
1. Anyone has the right to access their personal data, as well as to request the rectification of inaccurate data or, if applicable, request its deletion (and right to be forgotten) when, among other reasons, the data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which they were collected.
2. In certain circumstances, the interested parties may request the limitation of the processing of their data, in which case they will only be kept for the exercise or defense of claims.
3. In certain circumstances and for reasons related to their particular situation, the interested parties may object to the processing of their data. The entity will stop processing the data, except for compelling legitimate reasons, or the exercise or defense of possible claims.
IMPORTANT REFERENCE TO THE RIGHT TO BE FORGOTTEN AND DELETION OF DATA
In relation to the comments, contents and contributions published by the participants themselves, it must be borne in mind that in some cases, given the public nature of the initiative, the right to be forgotten may not be able to be enforced.
However, anonymization of the data will be carried out provided that this process does not hinder the follow-up of the corresponding initiative.
We will resolve your request within a maximum of one month, responding through the same means that you contacted blueocean with.
5.- Safe data handling practices
Optimizing data handling procedures will take into account the state of current technology, the costs of application, and the nature, scope, context and purposes of the data handling, as well as the risks of variable probability and severity of impact to the rights and freedoms of natural persons. The Blueocean initiative applies an appropriate technical and organizational measures to ensure a level of security appropriate to the risk, to prevent the destruction, loss or accidental or unlawful alteration of personal data transmitted, preserved or otherwise processed, or unauthorized communication or access to this data.
Any account that has direct access to large volumes of confidential data will be restricted to a maximum of three people, and will use secure passwords in order to reduce the risk that accounts with access to the data can be hacked.
In the event of a data breach, all respondents will be immediately notified of the event and a follow-up process will be launched to determine the cause and extent of the exposure, as required by Canadian law.
Respondents will also be notified of the result of the subsequent investigation into the data breach, upon its completion.
Copyright, reuse of information and other rights to the website and its contents
The blueocean national volunteer initiative encourages the use of open licenses, the creation of derivative works and the reuse and modification of the works contained in this website, provided that the original authorship is acknowledged and the same license is maintained over the same. resulting work Unless indicated otherwise, the contents protected by intellectual property disclosed on this website are subject, by default, to a Creative Commons - Recognition - Share Equal (CC-BY-SA) license. In accordance with this license, any person (including the Blueocean initiative itself) may use the protected contents, both for commercial and non-commercial purposes, provided the authorship is acknowledged and the resulting work is disseminated under the same license CC-BY-SA. This license will be applied both to the contents provided by the Blueocean initiative and to the contents contributed by participants of this website.
The blueocean national volunteer initiative allows the reuse of all the information and data disseminated through this website, subject to the following conditions:
- You must recognize the authorship appropriately, provide a link to the license and indicate if changes have been made.
- You can not make it clear that the Blueocean initiative sponsors or supports the activity in which the information is reused.
The blueocean national volunteer initiative will respect all intellectual or industrial property rights over the content sent by participants, and assumes no responsibility, directly or indirectly, with regard to any type of dispute, dispute and / or litigation that may arise from the publication, disclosure and / or dissemination of the contents provided without the consent of its legitimate owners or without the protection of any use permitted by law.